My approach is based on some core beliefs which inform the way I work
- I believe that good questions, effective listening and open sharing of diverse perspectives, all contribute to creating effective, shared solutions.
- I believe that each of us has a valuable contribution to make on the subject of food and that by working together we can pool expertise, perspectives, approaches, knowledge, and connections.
- I believe that by doing so, we will find innovative and inspiring solutions that effectively address root causes and create positive change.
Food system change
I have worked with the UK organic and local food sectors since 1990. My experience includes:
- organic horticultural production and box schemes
- direct producer/consumer links
- marketing models
- public sector food procurement
- social enterprise approaches for local food networks
- city region food system assessment and development
- strategic national programmes designed to change food culture and influence government policy
Local food economies
From 1998-2009 I worked with the Soil Association on establishing local food networks and direct market development with local and organic food and drink businesses and other local stakeholders including local government and health authorities.
Research & Evaluation
From 2010-2014 I worked as lead researcher with the Countryside and Community Research Institute (CCRI) impact assessment evaluation team of a £58 million Big Lottery Local Food grant fund for innovative community-led local food projects.
City region food system assessment
I am the author of ‘Who Feeds Bristol? Towards a resilient food plan’ (2011) A city region food system assessment report that has informed the Bristol Good Food Plan and that was commissioned by NHS Bristol with support from Bristol City Council and Bristol Green Capital Partnership.
In 2015 I worked on a similar report for the city of San Sebastián in the Basque Country commissioned by Fomento Donostia-San Sebastián.
I am currently working on city region food system indicators and monitoring processes with an international initiative.
- I am a director of f3 food consultants
- I am a member of Bristol Food Policy Council
- I am a director of Bristol Food Network
I am an associate consultant to RUAF Foundation
Films by Joy Carey:
I have co-produced two films, please see the films page.